Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Sneak Peak of the Novel

I sneak up behind Sophie and Alex intending to scare them when I hear Sophie say my name. I stop in mid sneak and listen.
“Lucy is such a sweet girl and I love her to death, but I hope that Simon won’t take her shyness the wrong way.”
Alex chips in with,
“I’m sure Simon will bring out Lucy’s fun side. It’s there and we know that, it just takes a while for her to warm up to new people.”
Hmmm, I’m not that shy am I? I just invited Mona to church with me. Of course, that is the first time I have said more than “Mocha please.” to her in three years. I walk around the couch and plop down in the chair opposite Sophie and Alex trying to act casual and confident but spilling my coffee down the front of my shirt instead. Sophie hands me a napkin and tells me that Simon is on his way. “GREAT! I CAN’T WAIT! I HOPE HE IS READY AS I AM TO MEET HIM!” Why am I yelling? Just because I'm loud doesn’t make me confident. I lift my cup to take a drink and end up missing my mouth when I get distracted and notice the door open. I turn and see an extremely attractive guy walk in. Tall, nice build, green eyes, glasses, dark brown hair, and a smile that will make your heart melt. Simon. Wait, why is he walking to a different table? Where is he going? I look to Sophie and start to ask her why Simon wasn’t coming over when I see a short stocky guy smiling with his hand extended toward me. I stand up to say hello and the guy only comes to my chin. Who is this guy? I want the other one. Sophie interrupts my thoughts and tells me that this is Simon. What?
“I’m sorry. What? I think I misunderstood you Sophie”
I smile trying not to sound too rude. The little guy looks up and says,
“Hi Lucy, I’m Simon. It’s so great to meet you!”
“Oh. Hello Simon.”
I smile and sit back down. His neck has to be cramping from having to look up so much. I glance over to my left and see the cute guy out of the corner of my eye. He is reading. I can’t tell what book it is, but I bet it’s a classic. He looks like that kind of guy, smart and sophisticated but still has a great sense of humor. I sigh. Sophie kicks my ankle and wrinkles her brow. She jerks her head to the guy’s conversation and mouths to me “What is wrong with you?” What’s wrong with me? What is wrong with her? And she really shouldn’t make that face so much. She has such a cute face but when she does that she looks like a cartoon. Sorry Lord. I’ll stop being rude. I turn to listen to the conversation taking place in front of me and stare into space. They talk about the latest football game that was on. I don’t really understand the game to begin with so I’m lost even before they start. I nod my head occasionally pretending that I know what they are talking about.....

4 comments:

  1. Can I have the first signed copy? :) Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course! haha thanks Linds, means a lot. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey lady :) Thanks so much for adding my blog to your blogroll. I love your site a lot and have added your link to my blogroll as well. See ya around WHT :)

    ReplyDelete