Tuesday, August 24, 2010

It's Craft Time!

For the past year and a half I have been trying my hand at “crafty projects”. They usually end up looking like a little kid did them for art class, but one of these days I’m going to nail it and become rich! I can feel it in my bones.

So far, I have found that items requiring a hot glue gun are out of the question, basically doctors’ orders. I don’t know how many burns I have endured, but I have lost the feeling in the tips of a few of my fingers and I have managed to glue my shirt to more than a few items I’ve worked on. I’m now running out of shirts to wear and I can hardly feel anything anymore. The doctor has told me that once my skin repairs itself I’ll be able to have most of the feeling back, but to ensure this I need to lay off the hot glue gun.

I have also nixed projects that require a needle and thread. I tend to faint at the site of blood and when you are a newbie at sewing you tend to get a few pricks. It may not have helped that I still couldn’t feel when I tried this, but it did not go well when I was hand sewing a miniature felt lamb. I pricked my finger, drew blood, fainted, woke up, saw the bloody lamb, and fainted again. Needless to say it looked like I had created a slaughtered lamb and no one wants to buy one of those.

This next one, I’m really sad I have to give up. I was really excited when I bought all the supplies, but sadly I have to forego painting as well. You see, I set up my canvas in front of a window to look out at the skyline so I could have inspiration you know? Then I turned on some great music and let that flow threw me so it could translate into a master piece. Instead I ended up with a big mess and two very brightly colored cats. I don’t know how I did it, but I ended up with more paint on the floor, walls, cats, and myself than I did the actual canvas. It looked like Pollock had come to my place to teach me and used my place as his canvas and left mine for me to use at a later date.

What is next you ask? Crocheting. I know what you are thinking, and you are wrong, it’s not just for old ladies. A lot of you wear crocheted items during the winter and if I turn out to be great at this, you may be buying some of my items! So don’t laugh at this idea, or I’ll laugh at you when you ask me for a scarf. I have a feeling that this particular project may go very well. Both of my grandmothers crocheted and they taught me how to start the first chain, which is basically all you need to know when you start whatever it is you are making. The only thing that is worrying me is the fact that I haven't picked up a crochet needle and yarn in over eighteen years. But I’m sure it’s just like riding a bike, it'll come back to me! Since both of my grandmothers are very protective with their crocheting utensils I have to go out and purchase my own. I’ll have to report back to you on how smashing this project goes next week! Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment