Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Really?

Alex stood up and raised a glass, “I just want to take a moment and wish the Birthday Girl a happy Birthday. Lucy, you are an amazing, talented, sweet, and kind friend, not only to me, but to the love of my life. I hope this year will bring you many good fortunes and success. To Lucy!”

Everyone raises a glass and cheers. I’m pretty sure I blush. I get ready to stand up and say thanks when Alex turns to Sophie and starts up again. “Sophie, I wanted to wait and do this in private, but I can’t wait any longer. I have to ask you now before my heart explodes, You are my best friend and I can’t imagine my life without you. I love all the mushy notes you sneak into my book bag. They make my heart swell with the love I have for you. I want to have you and your mushy notes for the rest of my life. Will you do me the honor of being my wife?” He gets down on one knee and holds out a beautiful diamond ring to her.

There is a hush in the room as we all wait for Sophie’s answer. She has tears running down her face and she nervously looks around before she nods her head yes. Alex reaches out to wipe the tears from her check and she falls into his arms. He kisses the top of her head and everyone breaks out into applause.


Uh, wait a minute. Correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t this my special day? Shouldn’t I be in the spot light? People should be applauding me! I’m the woman of the hour, dang it!

I run from the room before my own tears rush down my face. Joni tries to stop me but I mumble that I have to go to the restroom and break free. I open the door to the back room and make my way towards the restroom, head down, eyes blurred with unshed tears and smack right into a solid hard chest. “Sorry.”

“Are you ok?”

That voice, it sounds oddly familiar. I look up into gorgeous green eyes. Coffee Shop guy! I wipe the tears away that escaped my eyes and try to look happy. “Hi. Yeah I’m fine, thanks. Are you?”

“Yeah, just trying to find my brother, he said he would be here but I’ve looked all over and can’t find him.”

“Oh. Sorry.” Keep talking Lucy! Don’t let him leave just yet.

“You apologize a lot.” He smiles and starts to turn to leave when he says “Take care.”

“Wait! Ummm, it’s my birthday. We have a party going on back here, would you like to join?” Holly cow! I just invited a complete, albeit handsome, stranger to my party!

“Thanks, but I really need to find my brother, Happy Birthday.” He smiles that beautiful smile and walks away.

“Yeah thanks.” I mumble to his back. Happy Birthday to me, Alex and Sophie steal my thunder and Mr. Stud Muffin walks away, just what I always wanted.

No comments:

Post a Comment